Saturday, February 11, 2012

Belonging

For some reason this word "belonging" keeps popping into my head.  It's a word, a concept that I am constantly pondering.  I'm not so sure I ever "belonged" anywhere.  I danced when I was young, yet never felt like I "belonged" with them.  I had friends in school but never "belonged" in a certain click.  I was on the cheerleading squad, and still the idea of belonging was foreign to me.  I am not sure if the word is supposed to have an attached feeling to it or not.  But for me, I guess it does.

I never felt like I belonged in my family...I never belonged at parties or with certain groups of friends.  I never felt like I belonged at church or ccd when I was young.  I take yoga, I teach yoga, yet that sense of belonging is still missing.  All the yogis talk about this community, this belonging...what is wrong with me?  I've even tried to belong in places that one would really not want to belong to. 

I guess the short and tall of it is that I only feel like I belong to God.  He is the only one that "gets" me all the time.  He laughs at my dumb jokes...he cries with me when I'm in pain....He picks me up when I fall.... He leads me and guides me..so I think that if I could just stay right where I belong, I won't feel so uncomfortable in all of those places that I don't belong.  I thank you Jesus for finding me, for giving me a place to belong.  I know that it's not here on this earth doing earthly things...

People can belong to groups, families, organizations, communities....the only place that really satisfies that need for belonging for me is Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment